Funchal, the capital of Madeira, is a renowned site for its scenic beauty, diversity of flora and fauna, and a myriad of outdoor activities. With its pristine waters and vast oceanic surroundings, it’s no surprise that whale watching has become one of the most popular activities for tourists visiting Funchal. From gigantic humpbacks to playful dolphins, the Atlantic Ocean is home to a diverse whale population. In this post, we’ll be exploring the best whale watching tours in Funchal, and what you can expect to see during your time on the water. So, get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey and witness these magnificent creatures up close!
The 4 Best Whale Watching in Funchal
- Dolphins and Whales Watching in a Luxurious Catamaran
- Whales and Dolphins Watching Tour from Calheta
- Whale Watching Private Tour Including Drinks
- Seaborn Catamaran Dolphin and Whale Watching
The 4 Best Whale Watching in Funchal
1. Dolphins and Whales Watching in a Luxurious Catamaran
Bask in the sun and sea of Cabo Girão, one of the world’s tallest oceanside cliffs, on this romantic catamaran excursion departing from the Funchal Marina. After boarding, find a nice spot on the deck for spotting whales and dolphins and then strap on your complimentary goggles and mask while you look for sea life beneath the surface. Sail the sea of Cabo Girão by luxury catamaran and see marine life from the comfort of your cruise. Learn about Madeira’s thriving ocean ecology. This 2.5-3 hour catamaran cruise includes lunch and hotel pickup and drop-off. The meeting point is Praça do Povo, Av. Do Mar 4 9000-900 Funchal Portugal. Due to the renovation work in Marina, the office has been moved to the Cais 8. This is the new Marina where all the catamarans are. Please look for the Magic Dolphin Kiosk, which is opposite from our Catamaran Magic Dolphin Eco. Please make sure you arrive 20 minutes prior to the departure time.
2. Whales and Dolphins Watching Tour from Calheta
The south coast of Madeira island is the perfect place for watching whales and dolphins in their natural habitat. Join a small-group yacht cruise that offers a personalized experience according to your preferences. You may choose to stop and take a swim or go snorkeling along the coast or you may opt to observe bottlenose dolphins, sperm whales, and Bryde’s whales in their natural habitat. Enjoy magnificent views of Madeira from the water and feel the thrill of spotting marine life. The small-group tour has a maximum of 8 people to ensure a customized experience. Light refreshments like water, fruit juice, soft drinks, and beer are included, along with snorkeling equipment (masks, fins, and tubes) and hair and body towels. Hotel transfers can also be organized upon request with an extra charge depending on your hotel’s location. Meet your group at Tales – Whales and Dolphins Watching Tours at the Porto Recreio da Calheta Av. D. Manuel I Loja 42 9370-133 Vila da. Choose a departure time that works best for you and get ready for an unforgettable experience.
3. Whale Watching Private Tour Including Drinks
A whale-watching tour is a must-do activity when visiting Madeira Island. Book a private 2-4 hour charter on board the motor yacht ‘Miranda’ and get ready to spot whales, dolphins, and sea turtles in their natural habitat. You’ll have the luxury of a privately chartered boat equipped with snorkel gear, a shower, and light refreshments including mineral water, fruit juice, Coca-Cola, Cola zero, Sprite, and local beer. You’ll also get to enjoy a glass of sparkling wine while taking in the breathtaking views. Departures are available throughout the day to cater to individual schedules. For an even more hassle-free experience, request a hotel transfer for an additional fee. Don’t miss out on this unforgettable opportunity to see marine life up close on a private whale-watching tour in Madeira.
4. Seaborn Catamaran Dolphin and Whale Watching
Admire the stunning coastline of Madeira while searching for dolphins, turtles, and whales on this exciting catamaran adventure. With the help of an experienced crew, you’ll be taken to areas where these beautiful creatures have been spotted before, eliminating any guesswork. Take advantage of the onboard bar as you order drinks and keep an eye out for incredible wildlife sightings. During the summer months, you can even snorkel in the crystal-clear waters. This is an ideal experience for wildlife enthusiasts and those seeking unique coastal views. The tour will depart from Seaborn Catamaran at Funchal Marina, and guests are asked to arrive 30 minutes prior to departure. The tour will conclude at the original departure point. Confirmation will be sent upon booking.
Whale Watching in Funchal: Your Ultimate Guide
If you’re visiting Funchal, Madeira, you should definitely go on a whale watching tour. With over 20 cetacean species inhabiting the waters around the island, it’s no wonder that this activity is popular among both tourists and locals. If you’re thinking about going on a whale watching tour in Funchal, you might have some questions. In this article, we’ll answer the most frequently asked questions about whale watching in Funchal.
What can I expect to see on a whale watching tour in Funchal?
In the waters surrounding Funchal, you might see various species of whales, dolphins, and porpoises. Some of the species that are commonly spotted on these tours include:
- Common dolphins
- Bottlenose dolphins
- Sperm whales
- Beaked whales
- Risso’s dolphins
Keep in mind, however, that wildlife sightings are never guaranteed. Even the most experienced tour operators cannot control the behavior of the marine mammals, and the animals may choose not to approach the boat.
When is the best time to go whale watching in Funchal?
Whale watching tours in Funchal operate all year round, but the best time to go depends on what you want to see. For example, if you want to see migratory species such as humpback whales or killer whales, you should plan your trip between April and August. If, on the other hand, you’re interested in seeing the resident population of sperm whales, you can go on a tour at any time of the year.
Is it safe to go on a whale watching tour in Funchal?
Yes, it is safe to go on a whale watching tour in Funchal. The tour operators are licensed and follow strict safety regulations. The boats used for these tours are equipped with all necessary safety equipment and are operated by experienced and certified captains. However, keep in mind that you will be on a boat, so if you’re prone to seasickness, you might want to take precautions such as taking medication before the tour.
What should I bring on a whale watching tour in Funchal?
Here are some things you should consider bringing with you on a whale watching tour in Funchal:
- Warm clothing: Even if it’s warm on land, it can get chilly on the water.
- Sun protection: You might be out in the sun for a while, so bring sunblock, a hat, and sunglasses.
- Camera/binoculars: You’ll want to capture the moment if you see a whale.
- Snacks/water: Some tours offer snacks and drinks, but it’s always a good idea to bring your own.
How long does a whale watching tour in Funchal last?
Most whale watching tours in Funchal last between 2-3 hours. However, the duration may vary depending on the tour operator and the weather conditions. If you’re short on time, some tour operators offer shorter tours, so be sure to ask about it when booking.
How much does a whale watching tour in Funchal cost?
The cost of a whale watching tour in Funchal can vary depending on the tour operator, duration, and type of boat. On average, a tour costs between €50-€80 per person. Keep in mind, however, that the cheapest option may not always be the best. Look for a tour operator with a good reputation, experienced captains, and a high success rate of sightings.
Can I get a refund if we don’t see any whales?
This is a question you should ask the tour operator before booking. Some tour operators offer a refund if you don’t see any whales, while others offer a free tour on the next available date. Be sure to read the tour operator’s policies before booking.
How can I book a whale watching tour in Funchal?
You can book a whale watching tour in Funchal through a tour operator or through your hotel. It’s always a good idea to book in advance to ensure availability, especially during peak tourist season.
Whale watching is a unique experience that you shouldn’t miss when in Funchal. With the information in this article, you can make an informed decision about what to expect and how to prepare for your tour. Remember, whales are wild animals, and sightings are never guaranteed, so enjoy the experience and appreciate the beautiful ocean wildlife around you.
How to Do Whale Watching in Funchal: A Complete Guide
If you’re looking for something unique and memorable to do in Funchal, Madeira, then whale watching is an experience you won’t want to miss. Known for its crystal clear waters and diverse marine life, whale watching in Funchal is a must-do for nature enthusiasts and adventure-seekers alike. In this guide, we’ll take you through everything you need to know to have an incredible whale watching experience in Funchal.
1. When to Go Whale Watching in Funchal
The best time to go whale watching in Funchal is between April and October. During this period, you’ll have the best chance of seeing as many different species of whales and dolphins as possible. Additionally, the weather is mild and pleasant, making for a comfortable and enjoyable experience on the water. Keep in mind, however, that while tours are available year-round, sightings are less frequent outside of these months.
2. How to Choose a Tour Company
When selecting a whale watching tour company in Funchal, it’s essential to do your research and find a reputable, experienced provider. Look for a company that has a high success rate of sightings and positive reviews online. Additionally, make sure the boat is comfortable and well-maintained, and that the crew is knowledgeable and experienced with the local marine life.
3. What to Bring on Your Whale Watching Tour
To ensure you have a comfortable and enjoyable experience, there are a few things you should consider bringing with you on your whale watching tour:
- Warm clothing: The temperature on the water can be several degrees cooler than on land, so bring a jacket or sweater to stay warm.
- Sun protection: Even if the weather is mild, the sun can be strong out on the water. Wear sunscreen and a hat to protect yourself from harmful UV rays.
- Water and snacks: Most tour companies will provide water and light refreshments but bringing your own is always a good idea.
- Camera: Don’t forget your camera or smartphone to capture photos of the incredible marine life you’ll see.
4. What to Expect on Your Whale Watching Tour
Once you’ve booked your whale watching tour in Funchal, you can look forward to an unforgettable experience. Here’s what you can expect on the day:
- Check-in: Arrive at the tour company’s designated meeting point, where you’ll check-in, sign waivers, and receive a safety briefing.
- Boarding: Once everyone is ready, you’ll board the boat and set off on your tour.
- Whale spotting: Your experienced guide will take you to the best spots for spotting whales and dolphins, where you can observe them in their natural habitat.
- Other wildlife: You might also have the opportunity to see other marine life, such as sea turtles, flying fish, and seabirds.
- Return to shore: After you’ve had your fill of whale watching, you’ll return to shore, feeling exhilarated and awed by the beauty of nature.
5. Getting the Most Out of Your Whale Watching Experience
To make the most out of your whale watching experience in Funchal, here are a few tips:
- Be patient: As with all wildlife watching, there’s never a guarantee that you’ll see anything. Be patient, keep your eyes peeled, and enjoy the experience on the water.
- Listen to your guide: Your guide knows the area and the marine life better than anyone. Listen to their instructions and recommendations. They’ll help you get the most out of your tour.
- Respect the marine life: The whales and dolphins you’ll see are wild animals, and we should always treat them with the utmost respect. Keep your distance, don’t touch or feed them, and don’t litter in their environment.
- Enjoy the moment: Whale watching is an incredibly unique experience. Allow yourself to be fully present and enjoy the incredible beauty of nature.
Book Your Tour Now
Whale watching in Funchal is an extraordinary experience that should be on everyone’s bucket list. With a little planning and preparation, you can have a chance to see some of the world’s most magnificent creatures in their natural habitat. Follow these tips, and you’re sure to have a whale of a time!
Table of Contents